A. Consumer Privacy Rights and Rights to Your Personal Information as a Member
We grant Members certain rights with respect to certain types of Personal Information that we may have collected from or about them. Those rights are granted by us as a matter of policy and are independent of your Consumer Privacy Rights under certain state laws such as the CCPA. Whether, and to what extent, you may have such Consumer Privacy Rights, depends, among other things, on where you live.
B. Your Rights as a Member to Access, Correct, Update and Remove Personal Information
If you are a Member you have the right to access certain information in your account, such as contact and mailing information and any preferences or payment methods you may have shared with us. You may use your online account to access such information or contact Member Support (see Section XVI, How to Contact Us). This will allow you to update and correct your Personal Information on file with us. For example, in case your Personal Information on file with us is inaccurate or incomplete, you may ask for your Personal Information to be rectified or removed.
We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we provide access to, update or remove any of your information. Your right to have Personal Information removed is subject to any retention requirements and/or other legal grounds authorizing or requiring us to retain your information.
C. Your Consumer Privacy Rights
a. Limited Coverage by Consumer Privacy Rights for Certain Members outside California
It is our policy is to treat all Members of our AAA automobile clubs equally. Those automobile clubs are the American Automobile Association of Northern California, Nevada & Utah, AAA Arizona, Inc., and AAA MountainWest, Inc., (collectively, “Auto Club Members”). Therefore, we are extending certain of the Consumer Privacy Rights applicable to California residents also to our Auto Club Members who are not California residents. Members who are not Auto Club Members enjoy Consumer Privacy Rights to the extent they are California Consumers.
b. Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of our sale of your Personal Information. This means that you have the right to direct us not to sell your Personal Information. We will not ask if you would like to opt back in to the sale of your Personal Information for at least twelve (12) months following the date we receive your request; however, you may change your mind during this time and inform us that you are opting back in.
To exercise your right, you may either submit your request by contacting us using the information in Section XI (A) (Exercising Your Consumer Privacy Rights) below or use the Opt-out button displayed on our home page. We will not require you to verify your identity prior to honoring your opt-out request. However, in certain circumstances the law authorizes us to refuse to comply with your request. In such a case, we will contact you and provide you with an explanation of our refusal to act.
You may also use an authorized agent to submit a request to opt-out on your behalf, as long as you provide the authorized agent with written permission to do so and the agent provides such proof to us when they submit your request.
If you change your mind and wish to opt back in to the sale of your Personal Information or if the sale of your Personal Information is required to complete a transaction, please use the Opt-in mechanism described in Section XI (E) (Opting-in Following an Opt-out) below.
c. Right to Know
You have the right to request that we disclose to you in response to a verifiable consumer request (see Section XI (A) below for further details on how to submit a verifiable request) which Personal Information we collect, use, disclose and/or sell from you or about you.
Your right to know encompasses the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you in the preceding twelve (12) months, the categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected in the preceding twelve (12) months, the business or commercial purposes for collecting, using or selling the Personal Information in the preceding twelve (12) months, and the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed the Personal Information for business purposes or sold the same to in the preceding twelve (12) months.
d. Right to Request the Deletion of Your Personal Information
You have the right to request that we delete, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, any Personal Information about you that we have collected from you. We will also direct any service providers to which we provided your information to delete such information from their records. We will comply with your request for deletion if you (i) submit a verifiable request and (ii) the information you are asking us to delete does not fall under any of the following exceptions. Specifically, we are not required to delete your Personal Information if we need that information to:
• Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you;
• Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
• Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
• Ensure the exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law;
• Enable us to comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.);
• Use your information solely for internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
• Comply with a legal obligation;
• Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it;
• Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
e. Right to Non-Discrimination
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights as a consumer described in this Section. Unless permitted by applicable law in your jurisdiction, which may include the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), we will not: